Meeting Times: M/W 3:00PM-4:15PM
* The start symbol (*) indicates that there is an assignment due for the following class session.
DO NOT PRINT THIS CALENDAR! Instead, create a bookmark or shortcut to this google doc because some details may change.
Session 1: Introduction and Syllabus Review (Wednesday, 8/26)
* Read: Syllabus
* Log into the moodle course site
* Sign into turnitin.com (enrollment ID and password on our moodle site)
Session 2: History of Advertising, Part I (M-8/31)
also: writing strategies – notes, information overflow, citations, time management
* Read: Jay, Robert. The Trade Card in Nineteenth-Century America. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1987. Read pages 61-98.
Session 3: Library Session I (W-9/2)
During this session you will learn how to locate and evaluate resources. We will also cover how to cite (using the MLA style). We will meet near the help desk on the 1st floor of the library.
During this session you will start doing some preliminary research for the (fourth) research paper.
* Find one trade card that fits one of the themes from the Jay reading. Write a paragraph about why you chose it in a word document. Insert the image(s) of the card into the word document. Submit through turnitin.com
These archives have great trade card collections:
Direct link to Harvard’s digital trade card archive archive
Harvard’s Trade Card Collection (general information)
Fulton Street Card Collection
Miami University Trade Card Collection
M-9/7 (Labor Day)
Session 4: History of Advertising, Part II (W-9/9)
- Link to NyQuil commercial
* Origins of Modern Consumption (by Gary Cross; look for “Routledge Companion – Chap 2.”)
* Find 5 interesting print advertisements and bring them to class. (color-printed or original)
Session 5: Advertising Analysis, Part I (M-9/14)
* Berger, Arthur Asa. Ads, Fads, and Consumer Culture. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2007. Read Chapter 8. (For session 7)
* Read: Undressing the Ad (chapter 2): Finding the Path to Signification (by Elizabeth P. Lester) – for session 7
Session 6: Library Session II (W-9/16)
We will meet near the help desk on the 1st floor of the library. Today’s topics include working with referencing systems, database searches, and the citation management system “Zotero.”
* Share 5 bibliographic items with our group through Zotero. Please only add items that others have not yet listed. (So the faster you do, this the easier it will be…): Zotero group link
Session 7: Writing Workshop – Paper #1 (M-9/21)
During this workshop you will work on an outline of paper #1 in a small group of peers. You will read and comment on each other’s papers. Detailed instructions for this will be given to you along with the first assignment. Remember to keep all versions and notes for later.
The writing fellow will join us during the last 15 minutes of class.
* Work on your paper #1 outline (due next Monday!)
Session 8: CHANGED: Writing Workshop in Buckman 105 today (with Prof. Finnlayson) (W-9/23)
* Turn in outline next Monday (session 9)
Session 9:Advertising Analysis, Part II (M-9/28)
* Berger, Arthur Asa. Ads, Fads, and Consumer Culture. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2007. Read Chapter 9.
* Find a TV commercial for paper #2
* Write a brief proposal/abstract for paper #4
* Meet with the writing tutor before you turn in your paper next week!
Outline for paper #1 due today
Session 10: Stereotypes and Stereotyping (W-9/30)
* Submit paper #1 by session 11 (through turnitin.com )
* Cinnirella, Marco. Ethnic and National Stereotypes: A Social Identity Perspective. Beyond Pug’s Tour: National and Ethnic Stereotyping in Theory and Literary Practice. Ed. Cedric Barfoot. Amsterdam and Atlanta: Rodopi, 1997. Read pages 37-51.
* Bring the brief proposal/abstract for paper #4 to class next week.
Session 11: The Other in Advertising, Part I (M-10/5)
Also: Discussion of paper #4.
* Write outline of paper #2. Bring 2 printed copies during session 12.
Session 12: Writing Workshop (W-10/7)
During this workshop you will work on the outline of your second paper in a small group of peers.
* O’Barr, William M. Culture and the Ad: Exploring Otherness in the World of Advertising. Boulder: Westview Press, 1994. Read pages 1-16.
Session 13: The Other in Advertising, Part II: Racist Advertising (M-10/12)
* read: Advertising & Race-Chap. 6
* turn in the outline of paper #2 (in printed form) during session 14
Session 14: Photographic Colonialism (W-10/14)
- turn in the outline of paper #2 (in printed form) today; you will be paired up with a partner; exchange your outline, read your partner’s outline, and make comments on it (or a separate piece of paper); discuss with your partner afterwards; we will do two rounds of this
- Thesis statement + outline
Group One: https://titanpad.com/zjcE44USvf
Group Two: https://titanpad.com/ZDcltMJF4u
Group Three: https://titanpad.com/jOMULGiTO4
Group Four: https://titanpad.com/hvzjE2pCZy
Group Five: https://titanpad.com/wM5MeRcJYn
* O’Barr, William M. Culture and the Ad: Exploring Otherness in the World of Advertising. Boulder: Westview Press, 1994. Read pages 17-44.
* Upload updated paper #2 outline to turnitin.com
Fall Break 10/16-10/21
Session 15: The Other in Advertising, Part III (W-10/21)
Research Paper Discussion
* O’Barr, William M. Culture and the Ad: Exploring Otherness in the World of Advertising. Boulder: Westview Press, 1994. Read pages 45-72.
*Upload a document (1-2 paragraphs) in which you discuss briefly what the topic of your research paper will be
Session 16: Writing Workshop (M-10/26)
collaborative Titanpad document (use your initials)
Session 17: The Other in Advertising, Part IV (W-10/28)
During this workshop you will discuss your Research Paper.
You will also peer edit/review papers from 2 other students. (through turnitin )
Paper #2 due
Session 18: Flex Day (M-11/2)
Today’s flex day is an (as of yet) unplanned session. It will allow us to catch up on unfinished business, continue discussions we had to abandon because of the schedule, and discuss new items and trends that surfaced during the semester.
Session 19: Writing Workshop (W-11/4)
*Work on your outline (incl. thesis statement!) for paper #3 and bring to class next Wednesday!)
Session 20: Shock Advertising and The World of Fonts (M-11/9)
Session 21: Writing Workshop (W-11/11)
Paper # 3: outline and thesis workshop
Session 22: Research and Bibliography Workshop (M-11/16)
Library session! (Barret 128)
Session 23: Research Paper Day (W-11/18)
Research Paper (#4): topic discussions
Room change today! We will be in Palmer 205
Session 24: Topics in Advertising (M-11/23)
Room change today! We will be in Palmer 205
- Slogans and advertising copy: The world of smells
Thanksgiving Break 11/25-11/30
Session 25: Writing Workshop (M-11/30)
- Slogans and advertising copy: The world of smells (continued)
- Research Paper (#4)
Session 26: The Future of Advertising and other topics (W-12/2)
Session 27 (M-12/7)
No course today!
Session 28: Conclusion (W-12/9)
- Final versions papers #3 and #4 are due today!
- Ad presentations